11.18.2005

presidio park

Every now and then I like to sneak off to a place to pray. I try to pick places that don't necessarily provide quiet but perspective. Here in San Diego, the beach is a great place to pray. Especially when you can sit up on a cliff and see nothing but ocean in front of you. That has a way of putting things in perspective.

Another favorite spot of mine is Presidio Park, just above Old Town. This is a gem. I'm not sure many people -- even people who have lived here a while -- ever go to Presidio Park. It has two or three spots that provide good perspective. From one bench you can look out over I-8 and see Morena Boulevard and USD. The other spots direct you to Point Loma and downtown.

Yesterday I chose the spot that looks directly towards Point Loma and spent some time in prayer and reading my Bible. I usually approach these times without much of an agenda -- I just want to find a place where I can regroup and regain perspective.

I've always enjoyed Presidio because it reminds me of how vast and large San Diego is. As I watch the cars stream along I-5, I can't but help but think that more cars go by this one spot in one minute than will park in most church parking lots next Sunday. Every car is headed somewhere ... and so is every person.

I hope you've found a place where you can go to regain perspective.

No comments: