9.29.2006

reflections on recent school shootings

There have been two more school shootings over the past week. One of the details that emerged from the shooting at Platte Canyon High School in Colorado brought me to tears. It was about the young student who was killed before the gunman committed suicide.

Emily Keyes had recently turned 16 and was given a cell phone as a present. As the story began to unfold on live television, her father sent her a text message asking if she was OK. She replied at 1:52 PM with a short message, "I love you guys." Less than two hours later she would be shot in the back of the head as she tried to run away. You can read more about the ordeal at The Rocky Mountain News website.

That would be a text message I would keep forever.

There is no doubt that we live in a fallen world. We live in a world where evil exists alongside good and where people exercise their freedom in ways that both bless and destroy others.

When I watch stories such as these unfold, they remind me of what our neighbors need the most ... a relationship with God. There is a peace that does pass all understanding and it comes only through Jesus Christ.

I'm sure there are cynics reading this who would argue that I'm offering a simplistic solution to a complex problem.

To those cynics (and you know who you are) I would ask, "What is your solution?" "How do you propose to solve the problem of evil?" Is it by growing even more cynical, even more bitter, and then dying? Isn't it ironic that those who are the fiercest about removing God from our public dialogue and lives are the same ones who offer no feasible way of dealing with evil! Even if one doesn't believe in God ... how could you not believe in the presence of evil?

On a more personal level, one of my "take-homes" from the story of Emily Keyes is to devote myself to building an even stronger relationship with my daughters. For you fathers out there, let me encourage you to buy this book: "Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters." It's well worth the time and money you invest in it.

No comments: